H.Parsons’ Family History
Our family association with the Illawarra began on April 24th 1839 when Mathew and Puah Parsons arrived in Wollongong by horse and dray via Mount Keira Road.
In 1849 Matthew and Puah’s sixth child Henry was born in Fairy Meadow. Henry purchased the undertaking business from William Hutson in 1893. The business was located at 152 Keira Street Wollongong where Anglicare is now located. Later moving to 135 Keira Street, Wollongong where Henry Parsons Builders and Undertakers continued business. With the death of Henry Parsons, his twelfth child Alfred Reuben acquired the company. Alfred redeveloped the Keira Street site in 1935, which still remains there today.echo get_image('image'); ?> echo get('image'); ?>
In 1950, John Henry Parsons, Alfred Reuben’s third child commenced work with the company. Alfred Reuben passed away in 1992 and John continues to operate the company today together with sons Mark and Alan. In 1951 H. Parsons purchased Billy Williams Funeral Directors on the corner of Princess Highway and Organs Road Bulli, which H. Parsons still operates today.
The Warilla funeral home in Woolworths Avenue was established in 1981 as an alternate site for the services of the company’s southern Illawarra clients. H. Parsons’ most recently built funeral home is situated in Dapto on the corner of Princes Highway and Unara Road and was opened in July 2004. This funeral home is beautifully appointed and spacious, situated close to Wollongong Lawn Cemetery, Lakeside Cemetery and Crematorium, and Wollongong City Memorial Gardens Crematorium. Throughout H. Parsons’ years of history and service the company has kept pace with the requirements of their clients, including transportation. The last horse-drawn hearse ceased operation in 1926 when the carriage was removed from the buggy and placed onto a 1926 Dodge chassis. From thereon times evolved to the use of the black or white modern hearses and mourning cars which continue to service the company and clients needs. Today we continue to serve the Illawarra and surrounds with integrity, honesty and compassion.